Friday, October 1, 2010

Ubuntu 10.10 Beta Review

Ubuntu never disappoints when it comes to new features and the look of the Linux desktop. I just recently upgraded to Ubuntu 10.10 because I was starting to have little problems sprout up, mainly due to my tinkering and randomly installing packages trying to get something to work and then never cleaning them off. So needless to say, my computer was slowly getting cluttered and I decided to do a fresh install, or in other words I had a geek night.

My first impression was, this looks just like 10.04, not very impressed. Then I started to look under the hood, particularly the Ubuntu Software Center. I think this where Ubuntu is really going to have the opportunity to shine. Other distributions have tried to sell software on the desktop, one well known software store was called Click-N-Run by Linsphire, and even though it was well known it wasn't accepted as much as it could have been mainly because Linsphire wasn't very popular. Ubuntu doesn't have this problem, since Ubuntu is probably the most well known Linux desktop on the block I think the Ubuntu Software Center is going to take off and do very well.

All in all it is pretty solid operating system, the only drawback that I have noticed is programs that run on a consistent basis crash often. I am going to attribute this to the fact that it is still in beta release and hopefully it will work itself out when full release comes out. Like I said earlier Ubuntu never fails to impress me and I think the developers at Canonical are doing an awesome job at developing a stable desktop. So go get your copy of Ubuntu 10.10 and try it out I think you will be very impressed at the features that this Linux distribution has to offer.

I'm including a screenshot of my desktop to show how beautiful the Ubuntu desktop looks:

No comments: