Friday, June 6, 2008

Linux is Everywhere

My life is pretty boring, and I figured that I couldn't come up with enough content to fill a blog about myself so I decided to start one with something I am enthusiastic about, Linux and all its wonders. I have found that wherever you turn Linux has somehow found its way into my life, for example my cell phone, navigational system in my car, on my desktop computer, even on Mars.

Now I have tried various distributions of Linux, from Debian and all it variants to Red Hat, OpenSuse, Fedora, Gentoo, CentOS, and so many others. I don't have a favorite distribution, all though I am running Fedora 9 currently and I am really enjoying its interface. I really like the whole open source community and what it stands for, a community that shares software to improve it and make it available to everyone. Now I am not going to get into Microsoft bashing but to make a comparison from a consumers point of view lets break down the cost of ownership of Microsoft verus Linux for a basic home user that wants to type up documents, spreadsheets, surf the web, and send email.

To buy a Windows machine to do all this it will cost you roughly $383.00 with Microsoft. If you want to download Ubuntu Linux, which is designed for users moving from Windows to Linux, you can all this for FREE. This is the beauty of Linux and the Open Source community. This is what I will try to focus on in the blog, and occasionally post news articles that I come across that I find interesting, like this one which is about the Mars Polar Lander which use a Linux OS.

More to come.....

No comments: